Outdoor Adventure in Florida

Outdoor Adventure in Florida
Kayaking at Cypress Springs near Vernon, FL

Saturday, September 11, 2010

From Alligators to Tadpoles


I'm feeling a bit under the weather this weekend so I decided to stay home and work on a few articles instead. I finally got Kayaking With Alligators posted, a trip that I went on about three weeks ago. There are alligators all across Florida, but they are definitely more numerous and easier to spot in central and south Florida.

Gator! Gator! Gator! 

I learned a pretty healthy respect for alligators after a close encounter of the wrong kind when I was still living in Mississippi. It was at my first apartment, on the waterfront, and every afternoon I would walk down to our dock, dangle my feet over the edge and feed a little trio of ducks that also lived there. One peaceful afternoon the ducks were swimming just beneath my feet snatching up pieces of bread when the water beneath my feet erupted! A large alligator surfaced, throwing a duck backwards into its gaping maw while the remaining two made a break for it.

In utter shock I somehow managed to scramble to my feet and raced for the apartment and safety. Upon arriving I could only repeat the barely coherent phrase, "Gator! Gator! Gator! A Gator ate my duck!" Of course, my then husband and his friend didn't believe me but followed me back down to the dock where they were able to see the 8-9' alligator swimming slowly away.

Several things happened after that day. 1) I no longer dangle my feet over the water. 2) I don't feed ducks any more. 3) I developed a fear of sharks and dark water (probably based on unseen things in the water) and 4) I have a whole new respect (not fear) for alligators. I even learned as much as I could about them so I could better understand their habits and behaviour.

Since moving to Florida an getting into the sport of kayaking I find myself in alligator territory quite a bit. Even when actively searching for them I can still be surprised when I come upon one suddenly, and true to form I still yell, "Gator! Gator! Gator!" Some things never change.

Lurking Alligator

Last weekend's trip didn't involve alligators, but it still came with adventure and danger. Our group of intrepid adventurers headed out to Econfina Creek from the Walsingham put-in to the Hwy 20 take-out. Water levels were very low and it was portage hell for the majority of the trip, especially when we rounded one bend to find some local yokels had placed large rocks across the entire creek. To add insult to injury their unrestrained pit bull mixes tried to attack us. The two that went after me met the business end of my paddle.

But to earn the reward one has to pass the gauntlet. Our reward was a side trip into Washington Blue Spring where my kayak drifted into a sea of giant tadpoles, Rana heckscheri or River Frogs. These enormous tadpoles, averaging 4"-6" in length take anywhere from one to two years to transform into frogs. Because of this they need a continuous body of water, like a spring or bog, to live in until it's time. Special thanks to my Canon Powershot D10 for these pics.

Rana heckscheri, River Frog Tadpoles on Econfina Creek

A sea of giant tadpoles on Econfina Creek. 

Well, that's it for this week's post. Hopefully I'll be feeling better next weekend and I'll have a brand new adventure to share.

2 comments:

  1. I've always been very respectful of gators because they don't give you any rhyme or reason behind their attack. Sharks, on the other hand, are a bit more predictable in that they usually feed around dawn and dusk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the 1960s we used to walk around the edges of the littoral zone in water up to our necks at Keuka Lake (FL, Putnam County) and toss lures and worms on hooks back towards the weeds. We would occasionally put a flashlight on top of the head to "shine" for 'gators, but rarely saw them. I won't do that now!

    A friend was attacked by a territorial bull alligator at Silver Springs a few months ago, in the middle of the day. He's lucky to be alive. Another friend lost a forearm to a feeding 'gator at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens in Gainesville.

    BTW, those are really nice shots of tadpoles. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete