Outdoor Adventure in Florida

Outdoor Adventure in Florida
Kayaking at Cypress Springs near Vernon, FL

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Adventure on Okaloosa Island

There's plenty of activities to keep you busy on Okaloosa Island. Most days you can watch people windsurfing, kite surfing and paddleboarding (SUP.) There's always someone fishing over on the pier. Even couch potatoes can sometimes be found lying on the beaches like orphaned seals. And THAT brings me to my segue... you can see live sea lions (not seals), dolphins and other aquatic sea life at Florida's Gulfarium located right next to the Boardwalk on Okaloosa Island! 


It's hard to believe that until today, I have lived in Florida for eight years and have never been to the Gulfarium and it's only about 15 minutes from my house! Well, quick fingers got me the hook up with a Half-off season pass (thanks to WEARTV3) to this aquatic wonderland and off I went with my camera in tow for a fun-filled afternoon.  


I entered the park armed with the knowledge that the sea lion show was about to start. As I made my way past the central tank that houses the dolphins, an inquisitive face appeared in one of the windows and appeared to intently check me out. I could almost swear that she smiled at me before swimming away. I found out later that this lovely dolphin was namped Daphne and I'll write more about her antics later. 


Daphne Looking Through the Viewing Window
I arrived at the sea lion show and scored a prime seat, meaning not too close (water splash) and not too far (binoculars.) I only had to wait a couple of minutes before the trainers came out and put Molly, Star and Cory through their paces. This charming trio was fun to watch and put a smile on everyone's faces. 


Cory Performs
Next stop was the multi-species show via the shark moat, but don't worry, not only is there a bridge, but the only sharks in this tank are nurse sharks and one very large sea turtle. I stopped to get pictures simply because I find sharks terrifying and fascinating at the same time. Oddly, I didn't even see the giant sea turtle until I passed by again later. 


Nurse Shark
The tank at the multi-species exhibit allowed me to get the closest I've ever been to a dolphin without having a kayak in between us. I was so close that I could have touched them, however no touching is allowed. :( That's okay. I've got a dolphin encounter booked during my Bahama cruise. :)


Sea Lion Giving Dolphin a Kiss
Kyle Performs a Graceful Dive
The multi-species show adds a sea lion into a scaled down dolphin show. This show was entertaining, even though Kyle the sea lion had a minor panic attack about halfway through the show. :( If I had to guess, I suspect one of the dolphins said something to bruise his ego. 


After the multi-species show I had a few minutes to wander through some of the other exhibits. I visited the revisited the shark moat, penguin exhibit, touch pool, stingray, tropical bird, and alligator exhibits. I managed a glance at the tortoise enclosure and sea turtle exhibit as well before heading upstairs to the main dolphin show where Daphne and her daughter Lily performed an amazing show for everyone. 


Daphne Nails the Suspended Ball
Special thanks goes to Daphne and the timing on my camera for snagging this phenomenal shot! 


Daphne Sails Through a Hoop


The show wrapped up and I spent a few more minutes wandering around getting more shots. An empty camera SD card is an unhappy SD card. 


Penguin


Cownose Ray
Sea Turtle

Lily Poses for the Camera


Florida Alligator
All-in-all it was an afternoon well spent. I got to see some of my favourite animals; got plenty of pictures; and bought Christmas presents for a couple of friends from the gift shop. :D Talk about unique holiday gift shopping! 

No comments:

Post a Comment