![]() |
| Alligator and Turtle Basking along Alexander Spring Run |
When I first paddled up on this duo on Alexander Spring Run it was a complete surprise. So much so that I was backpaddling and repeating the phrase "gator, gator, gator!" After a moment to recompose and reorient my kayak I finally managed to snap the picture. This picture always leads to the question of "why doesn't the alligator just eat the turtle?" The answer is evident in the following photo.
![]() |
| Alligator Resting on a Basking Turtle at Alexander Spring Run |
The simple answer is that it takes a long time to chose the perfect pillow. You don't want one that's too firm, or too soft. So after putting in all that effort to find the perfect pillow, you don't want to eat it.
![]() |
| Osprey Dining on a Mullet; Alexander Spring Run |
Kayaking very often allows you to see nature in action. As I was paddling along this Osprey plucked a mullet right out of the water near my kayak and carried it up into a tree to dine on. I just wish I had one of those uber nice cameras with an awesome zoom lens.
![]() |
| Butterflies Extracting Moisture Along Boiling Creek |
There were several dozen butterfiles along a sandbar on my favourite creek, Boiling Creek. I managed to get three of them to sit still long enough to be photographed.
![]() |
| Pitcher Plants Along Boiling Creek |
Boiling Creek has some of the most beautiful and interesting plants found in the Florida panhandle. I love paddling on Boiling. The water is crystal clear and you can see all the way to the sandy bottom.
![]() |
| Dragonfly on Water Lily; Boiling Creek |
There have been water lilies each time I've paddled on Boiling Creek. This one has a dragonfly perched on a petal. As I drifted in close for this shot, my kayak slid across the tops of some other lily pads and it sounded like strange but beautiful music. I named my kayak Siren Song as a result.
![]() |
| Snorkeler at Cypress Springs, Fl. |
The wonderful thing about having a waterproof camera is shots like this one. Cypress Springs is located on the Holmes River north of Panama City, Fla.
![]() |
| Attack of the Tadpoles |
Okay, so these tadpoles are not actually attacking. I took this shot in a spring on Econfina Creek. There were hundreds of giant non-metamorphic tadpoles ranging in size from 4 to 6 inches. I let my kayak drift into a pod and I just stuck my camera down in the water and started snapping away.
![]() |
| Shangri-la Springs, Merritt Mill Pond, Marianna, Fla |
This spring is one of several located in Merritt Mill Pond near Marianna, Fl. The pond is about four miles long from the dam to Jackson Blue Spring and is a popular spot for cave diving.
![]() |
| Cormorant on Silver River |
All of the wildlife on Silver River near Ocala, Fl, is protected and this may be why this cormorant allowed me to get so close. I could have literally have reached out and touched him, however, I value my fingers since I need them to write informative and entertaining articles. I hope to continue to share unique and interesting photos with all of you in the future. :)










Some of these pics look like the ones you might find in Nat Geo!
ReplyDeleteBeverly excellent blog and photos. I loved them all. One day I'll get brave and kayak. Looks like fun. All the best.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the compliments. I'm finding that the more I kayak the more photo ops I have. I can't wait for my manatee trip later this week. :)
ReplyDeletePS-Congratulations Beverly for being chosen as Club Kayak's Photographer of the Month in October 2009. Fantastic photos from you. All the best.
ReplyDelete